Monday, April 28, 2008

Mid-Century Mondays

"I Dig a French Bikini On Hawaii Island" by xxshellxx


What she had to say:
The Beach Boys! Gotta love them! They are a perfect example of how times could be innocent and free! With their songs about surfs, cars and innocent love! Who can resist them I ask you!

So OF COURSE I HAD to go with a set based on the BEACH! DUH! The guy in the center of the picture was the inspiration of the color I used, and I used subtle 50's items like the high-waist shorts, maybe the sunglasses, and I guess you could throw in that vest. Dont you wanna dance on the beach with your ... boyfriend to that music? Huh? Dont ya? :)

What I have to say:
I LOVE the Beach Boys. Seriously, it's so easy to take them lightly because they're music is so happy and simple sounding, but if you read the lyrics, they're just PERFECT...I mean, so straight-forward, no unusual phrasing, easily understood, but still poetic and full of message. Brian Wilson didn't screw around with what he had to say. It fell within rhythm and it rhymed, but it also sounded like...like you could quote it in an everyday conversation and nobody would realize you were quoting a song. For example (my favorite BB song)...

"Caroline, No"
Where did your long hair go?
Where is the girl I used to know ?
How could you lose that happy glow?
Oh, Caroline no

Who took that look away ?
I remember how you used to say
You'd never change, but that's not true.
Oh, Caroline you

Break my heart
I want to go and cry.
It's so sad to watch a sweet thing die.
Oh, Caroline why ?

Could I ever find in you again
Things that made me love you so much then ?
Could we ever bring 'em back once they have gone ?
Oh, Caroline no ...


so, okay, that's the 60's and I'm totally cheating, but I think of the 50's when I think of the Beach Boys, sue me :-P.

1 comments:

Freskababy said...

I love that set! And that song! I agree with the whole laid back easy, vibe the Beach Boys had. And I'm only 13!!