Monday, July 14, 2008

Thank You for reading!

Hey everyone. To my devoted readers, you may have noticed that i have been woefully lax in updating this blog. I no longer have access to Polyvore at work (IT Fascists!!) so it's difficult to keep up at all. Of course, I could do it at home, but after spending 8 hours on the computer and 2 hours in traffic...the last thing I want to do is sit in an uncomfortable chair in front of the computer at home. I have been visiting Polyvore nearly every day, just to see what's up, but I don't spend more than 15 minutes, on average. It's a little sad.

Anyway, some exciting news...I'm going to school for Graphic Design and animation. Apparently it's a good school and stuff...I mean there's nothing saying I'll be able to land a job at Pixar or anything, but at least I can get a job I don't loathe. Honestly, I'd just LOVE to find a company that doesn't have a strict "career" dress code. I was watching a documentary on Pixar and my eyes burned with tears of envy and self-pity. They were all wearing jeans and t-shirts and sneakers and baseball caps and hoodies...My personal plight is pathetic, but I just can't stand people telling me how to dress. Sometimes I like to do the whole "corporate shark" look...sleek, sophisticated, powerful...but not often. I like to save that sort of polish for interviews...because it's not about the clothes, it's about how you FEEL when you're wearing them...and I don't want to get too used to that shot of confidence...and I don't want people to get used to me looking like that, because it's NOT me...it's a costume. I've always felt very strongly about that...clothes are a mechanism the ignorant use to pre-judge a human's potential based on arbitrary, shallow appearances.

I guess it's the stubborn artist in me that chafes against the constraints of dress codes, "acceptable" behavior and "proper" language...I hope to one day find a group of colleagues who don't mess around that bullshit and just be messy and real and innovative about everything in their lives. I think I might feel at home there.

6 comments:

Jael Paris said...

Miss you!

Anonymous said...

Gokarm, the whole Polyvore team misses you!! We wish you the best in your new career in graphic design.

Did you know that sunnydays (aka Meg) works at Pixar? You might want to talk to her about pursuing a career there. http://blog.polyvore.com/2008/07/interview-with-sunnydays-aka-meg.html

There are tons of companies in northern California / Silicon Valley that are very casual and have no dress code. Like Polyvore! Maybe you could come work for us after you graduate. :)

Anonymous said...

Wow! Two possible job leads right there in one comment! Don't lose those contacts.

Karmander said...

LOL. Thank you for your well wishes! Of course I would LOVE to work for Polyvore, you have no idea. The location is to die for. I really did leave my heart in San Fransisco. And yes, I am aware that Sunnydays works for Pixar. In the wake of Wall-E success, that is even MORE impressive :)

Angela franco said...

I just want to say thta your blog is great!!! and your sets... amazing!!!

Karmander said...

aww, thanks angela! kisses to you!