Tuesday, June 30, 2009

The 90's

Today, I decided to listen to my rarely listened to "Best of the 90's" playlist on project playlist.com. As I was savoring some of my favorite 90's fare, it struck me how the 90's kinda sucked. For all purposes, the 90's should be chock full of my fondest memories. I was a teenager in the 90's. I grew up with babydoll dresses, pacifier necklaces, slap bracelets, N'Sync...NIRVANA, for goodness sakes. Not to mention it was one of America's most financially lucrative decades, thanks to a certain clever politician's administration. (seriously, who doesn't miss Clinton, just a little?)




despite this.


But it was a dour decade, and it shouldn't have been. I've never seen such a moody crowd as the Gen X'ers, devoted to cynical Stand-up comedians, grunge rock, and indie/hipster fashion. And I know it affected me, because I'm forever accused of having a "grunge" style in my Graphic Design courses, and it's the one thing I constantly return to, because it's easy for me. One look at my blog, and you can tell it's true. Grunge is what I know and I've had to work hard to iron it out of my design aesthetic.




Will this ever NOT look totally fierce?


Maybe we're just not far enough away from it to really understand what made the 90's great, but looking at it now, it's like...wtf? What did the 90's give us that we can use today? I don't know, I don't mean to be down on the 90's but for me, it's a historical glitch. But who knows, my parents feel that way about the 70's. Maybe it's just because I lived through it that I can't appreciate it. Anyway,

Here's to the 90's.

0 comments: